If you’re going to be looking at your phone over the holidays you might as well start a fun conversation with your tablemates. Here’s a few starters:
1. Would you rather the aliens that make first contact be robotic or organic?
Which would be less likely to wipe us off the face of the planet?
2. Would you rather lose the ability to read or lose the ability to speak?
If you strongly swing introvert or extrovert, this might be pretty easy for you.
3. Would you rather have a golden voice or a silver tongue?
To be honest, I just put this one in because I thought it has a nice ring to it. Nothing like some good idioms.
4. Would you rather be covered in fur or covered in scales?
Built in blanket or +2 armor, which one will you choose?
5. Would you rather be in jail for a year or lose a year off your life?
Is a bad year worth living or is better to give up a year of your life?
6. Would you rather always be 10 minutes late or always be 20 minutes early?
Feel rushed or feel bored. Make others wait or have to wait. Have a hard time getting a job or be constantly waiting around looking at your phone. Choose wisely.
7. Would you rather have one real get out of jail free card or a key that opens any door?
One free crime of your choice or a life of limitless theft and/or espionage. Get in touch with your inner criminal.
8. Would you rather know the history of every object you touched or be able to talk to animals?
Basically, the best veterinarian/zoologist on the planet or the most incredible archaeologist ever.
9. Would you rather be married to a 10 with a bad personality or a 6 with an amazing personality?
This answer probably changes quite a bit depending on if you are or have ever been married.
10. Would you rather be able to talk to land animals, animals that fly, or animals that live under the water?
The most important question is, what would the conversations be like?
11. Would you rather have all traffic lights you approach be green or never have to stand in line again?
Look at you, big shot, the World making way for you!
12. Would you rather spend the rest of your life with a sailboat as your home or an RV as your home?
The waves, the sun, the smell of salty air. The open road before you, also the sun, the smell of the pines. Either one sounds pretty good about right now.
13. Would you rather give up all drinks except for water or give up eating anything that was cooked in an oven?
Food choice, or beverage choice, tough pick.
14. Would you rather be able to see 10 minutes into your own future or 10 minutes into the future of anyone but yourself?
Both would be pretty cool. Either one would make a great superpower.
15. Would you rather have an easy job working for someone else or work for yourself but work incredibly hard?
This is a great question to help you decide how well you would do as an entrepreneur.
16. Would you rather be the first person to explore a planet or be the inventor of a drug that cures a deadly disease?
Explorer or humanitarian, you’ll go down in history books either way, but which way do you want to be remembered?
17. Would you rather go back to age 5 with everything you know now or know now everything your future self will learn?
Either way, you will definitely have a leg up. You would be the smartest 5-year-old on the playground but man, it would be rough going through puberty again.
18. Would you rather be able to control animals (but not humans) with your mind or control electronics with your mind?
You feeling that druid vibe or more of a cyberpunk vibe?
19. Would you rather have unlimited international first-class tickets or never have to pay for food at restaurants?
Choosing between food and travel. I don’t know about you, but it’s probably the hardest choice on this list for me.
20. Would you rather see what was behind every closed door or be able to guess the combination of every safe on the first try?
So, will you be a super thief or a super snoop? Will you use your powers for good or evil?
21. Would you rather be an average person in the present or a king of a large country 2500 years ago?
Being king pro: You get to tell everyone what to do. Living in the past con: Dentistry. Or the lack thereof.
22. Would you rather be able to dodge anything no matter how fast it’s moving or be able to ask any three questions and have them answered accurately?
How about it, you Neo or a second-rate Aladdin? Information is power, but dodging bullets is pretty cool. A lot of cardio though.
23. Would you rather be forced to dance every time you heard music or be forced to sing along to any song you heard?
Sure, people will look at you funny, but either one you choose, own it.
24. Would you rather have all your clothes fit perfectly or have the most comfortable pillow, blankets, and sheets in existence?
You want to be comfy in the streets or comfy in the sheets?
25. Would you rather 5% of the population have telepathy, or 5% of the population have telekinesis? You are not part of the 5% that has telepathy or telekinesis.
Well not everyone gets lucky. But you know if everyone is a superhero then no one is.
26. Would you rather be an unimportant character in the last movie you saw or an unimportant character in the last book you read?
Just remember that all the supporting characters in your life are the main character in their own. Not sure why you need to remember it, but it sounds pseudo-profound right?
27. Would you rather move to a new city or town every week or never be able to leave the city or town you were born in?
“Lord, I was born a rambling man…” Or do you prefer… “Our house, in the middle our street…”
28. Would you rather be completely insane and know that you are insane or completely insane and believe you are sane?
Sure, being plain old sane might be the preferred choice, but that’s not an option!
29. Would you rather travel the world for a year on a shoestring budget or stay in only one country for a year but live in luxury?
Do you prefer the high life or the wandering life? Both have their benefits. But more than likely you instantly know which is right for you.
30. Would you rather suddenly be elected a senator or suddenly become a CEO of a major company? (You won’t have any more knowledge about how to do either job than you do right now.)
Is it just me or would this make a good comedy movie/TV show?
31. Would you rather live in virtual reality where you are all powerful or live in the real world and be able to go anywhere but not be able to interact with anyone or anything?
A god in the machine or a ghost in the real world.
32. Would you rather have whatever you are thinking to appear above your head for everyone to see or have absolutely everything you do live streamed for anyone to see?
Privacy for your thoughts, or privacy for you, which do you value more?
33. Would you rather be only able to watch the few movies with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 95-100% or only be able to watch the majority of movies with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 94% and lower?
Quality is great, but does it outweigh quantity? I leave that up to you to decide.
34. Would you rather wake up as a new random person every year and have full control of them for the whole year or once a week spend a day inside a stranger without having any control of them?
No matter which you choose that would be one crazy life to live.
35. Would you rather know how above or below average you are at everything or know how above or below average people are at one skill/talent just by looking at them?
It’s amazing how many uses these two would have once you start thinking about them and how they would play out in real life.
36. Would you rather live until you are 200 but look like you are 200 the whole time even though you are healthy or look like you are 25 all the way until you die at age 65?
You can’t judge a book by its cover. But people still do.
37. Would you rather be a reverse centaur or a reverse mermaid/merman?
The mental picture is definitely worth a thousand of my words.
38. Would you rather your only mode of transportation be a donkey or a giraffe?
Very cool and impractical or kind of lame but a lot more practical.
39. Would you rather only be to use a fork (no spoon) or only be able to use a spoon (no fork)?
Sure, you like soup, but do you like it enough to give up using a fork?
40. Would you rather every shirt you ever wear be kind of itchy or only be able to use 1 ply toilet paper?
Let’s be honest, both are a fate worse than death.
41. Would you rather have edible spaghetti hair that regrows every night or sweat (not sweet) maple syrup?
So, um yeah, sometimes you get so tired, and you just type stuff. And sometimes you keep it. And this I’m keeping.
42. Would you rather have to read aloud every word you read or sing everything you say out loud?
You are going to get the side eye from a lot of folks either way!
43. Would you rather wear a wedding dress/tuxedo every single day or wear a bathing suit every single day?
Either way, you are going to need to find a job suited to your strict attire requirements. Bathing suit, lifeguard. Tux, probably lots of options. Wedding dress… hmm that one might be a little more difficult.
44. Would you rather be unable to move your body every time it rains or not be able to stop moving while the sun is out?
Which do you value more, your peaceful rest time or getting stuff done?
45. Would you rather have all dogs try to attack you when they see you or all birds try to attack you when they see you?
Birds or Cujo, either way, better put on your chainmail before heading out the door!
46. Would you rather be compelled to high five everyone you meet or be compelled to give wedgies to anyone in a green shirt?
Oh man, either way, you might take a beating walking around. Just hope you don’t live in a city!
47. Would you rather have skin that changes color based on your emotions or tattoos appear all over your body depicting what you did yesterday?
Whew, the tattoos would be super embarrassing, but then again it would be rough having everyone know how you feel all the time.
48. Would you rather randomly time travel +/- 20 years every time you fart or teleport to a different place on earth (on land, not water) every time you sneeze?
This is another that would make a great TV series. Especially if they combined them. I only hope they make it a dark comedy.
49. Would you rather there be a perpetual water balloon war going on in your city/town or a perpetual food fight?
Yeah, let’s just pretend that whatever is being thrown, once it hits the ground, it disappears. Nobody wants tons of popped balloon fragments or rotting food around.
50. Would you rather have to fart loudly every time you have a serious conversation or have to burp after every kiss?
This is like the worst set of superpowers ever. Hope you can find an SO who is super understanding.
51. Would you rather become twice as strong when both of your fingers are stuck in your ears or crawl twice as fast as you can run?
One incredibly goofy, one incredibly creepy. Which will you choose?!
52. Would you rather have everything you draw become real but be permanently terrible at drawing or be able to fly but only as fast as you can walk?
The most underwhelming superpowers. I would totally watch a show or movie about superheroes with really under powered powers.
53. Would you rather thirty butterflies instantly appear from nowhere every time you sneeze or one very angry squirrel appear from nowhere every time you cough?
Cold and flu season is going to be really weird for you.
54. Would you rather vomit uncontrollably for one minute every time you hear the happy birthday song or get a headache that lasts for the rest of the day every time you see a bird (including in pictures or a video)?
Yeah, this is another one I don’t really know what to say. Nothing catchy here just a very bizarre choice.
55. Would you rather eat a sandwich made from 4 ingredients in your fridge chosen at random or eat a sandwich made by a group of your friends from 4 ingredients in your fridge?
Knowing my friends, definitely the ingredients chosen at random. I hope you have nicer friends than I do…
56. Would you rather everyone be required to wear identical silver jumpsuits or any time two people meet and are wearing an identical article of clothing they must fight to the death?
The future is a fashion dystopia! There is no fashion, or everyone must be extremely unique in their fashion or face possible death.
57. Would you rather be a famous director or a famous actor?
The limelight or the credit, your choice.
58. Would you rather be a practicing doctor or a medical researcher?
Both help to make peoples’ lives better. But both have some serious downsides that go along with them.
59. Would you rather live in a cave or live in a tree house?
Which do you cheer for in fantasy movies and books, dwarves or elves?
60. Would you rather be able to control fire or water?
How about it, you a Zuko or a Katara?
61. Would you rather live without the internet or live without AC and heating?
This question gets a lot harder to answer the hotter or colder it is where you live.
62. Would you rather be able to teleport anywhere or be able to read minds?
Either one would make for an amazing superpower.
63. Would you rather be unable to use search engines or unable to use social media?
And of course, Reddit counts as social media, even if you are just lurking.
64. Would you rather be beautiful/handsome but stupid or intelligent but ugly?
The old dilemma of beauty vs. intelligence, which is more important? Is ignorance truly bliss, or is that just cop out?
65. Would you rather be balding but fit or overweight with a full head of hair?
Sure, you can always lose weight, but how many people actually do lose weight. As for the other, a lot of work, but a lot of hair as well. How much do you love those locks Fabio?
66. Would you rather never be able to eat meat or never be able to eat vegetables?
Forced carnivore or vegetarian, I suppose for vegans and vegetarians this is an easy choice.
67. Would you rather have a completely automated home or a self-driving car?
It won’t be long until everyone has both! Whether they like it or not. Just kidding! Or am I?
68. Would you rather be an amazing painter or a brilliant mathematician?
The arts or the sciences, which do you prefer?
69. Would you rather be famous but ridiculed or be just a normal person?
It ain’t easy being famous, but it does have its perks! What am I talking about? I have no idea what it’s like being famous.
70. Would you rather have a flying carpet or a car that can drive underwater?
Aladdin or James Bond, either way, you are about to get way more awesome. Until someone steals it.
71. Would you rather never be stuck in traffic again or never get another cold?
Both are incredibly annoying. Guess it depends on your commute and how often you get sick.
72. Would you rather have a bottomless box of Legos or a bottomless gas tank?
You’ll be rich either way. Sure, gas would probably get you more money in the long run, but infinite Legos sounds like a lot of fun.
73. Would you rather be forced to eat only spicy food or only incredibly bland food?
You want that fire, or you want that … um … opposite of fire? Yeah, so you like spicy food or really hate spicy food?
74. Would you rather be a bowling champion or a curling champion?
I would love to see a mix of both sports. Sure, it would probably be messy, and there would be lots of injuries, but I reckon it would be pretty entertaining.
75. Would you rather be fantastic at riding horses or amazing at driving dirt bikes?
I mean let’s face it, either one would be pretty awesome.
76. Would you rather never be able to wear pants or never be able to wear shorts?
This one depends a lot on where you live. While it might be a tough call for a lot of my readers, I think it will be much easier for those of you in colder climates.
77. Would you rather live the next 10 years of your life in China or Russia?
Both big, diverse, and interesting but very different in a lot of ways. So, which do you think would be a good fit for you?
78. Would you rather live on the beach or in a cabin in the woods?
Beach bum or … woods bum? Is that a thing? That’s probably not a thing. Woodsman/woodswoman, there we go.
79. Would you rather be lost in a bad part of town or lost in the forest?
You got those street smarts or those wilderness smarts? Or would you just be up the creek no matter which you picked?
80. Would you rather have a horrible short-term memory or a horrible long-term memory?
Or you could be like me and just have horrible short-term and long-term memory!
81. Would you rather be completely invisible for one day or be able to fly for one day?
The age-old question, flying or invisibility. Experience or utility, the choice is yours!
82. Would you rather never be able to use a touchscreen or never be able to use a keyboard and mouse?
Electronic interface devices. Makes for an exciting would you rather question right? Okay, well I thought it was good enough to leave in.
83. Would you rather have unlimited sushi for life or unlimited tacos for life? (both are amazingly delicious and can be any type of sushi/taco you want)
I love both so much, I don’t know how I would decide.
84. Would you rather get one free round trip international plane ticket every year or be able to fly domestic anytime for free?
Travel, travel, travel, oh to be traveling again.
85. Would you rather be able to be free from junk mail or free from email spam for the rest of your life?
Now you can choose between old school spam and new spam. But the real question is, what will be the next spam?
86. Would you rather give up bathing for a month or give up the internet for a month?
How much stink is the internet worth?
87. Would you rather give up watching TV/movies for a year or give up playing games for a year?
That includes phone games for those app gamers out there. Who knows, even with how much I love entertainment, it might be good to unplug from both for a year.
88. Would you rather never be able to drink sodas like coke again or only be able to drink sodas and nothing else?
This one totally depends on how much you love sodas vs. how much you love other drinks.
89. Would you rather have amazingly fast typing/texting speed or be able to read ridiculously fast?
Input. Output. What is more important to you?
90. Would you rather live under a sky with no stars at night or live under a sky with no clouds during the day?
As a side note, if you hate clouds, check out the southwest USA.
91. Would you rather have free Wi-Fi wherever you go or be able to drink unlimited free coffee at any coffee shop?
But I need both! Lots of coffee shops have free Wi-Fi, but as soon as you step out, it vanishes. Global connectivity or global caffeine. The choice is yours.
92. Would you rather take amazing selfies, but all of your other pictures are horrible or take breathtaking photographs of anything but yourself?
You going for the influencer life or that photographer life? Either way, keep hustling!
93. Would you rather never get a paper cut again or never get something stuck in your teeth again?
Not sure which I would pick, but either would be a blessing.
94. Would you rather never have another embarrassing fall in public or never feel the need to pass gas in public again?
Who knows, maybe you like passing gas in public, I don’t know how nasty you are. This might be an easy question for those crop dusters out there.
95. Would you rather lose your best friend or all of your friends except for your best friend?
Guess it all depends how awesome your best friend is or if you prefer that friend buffet action.
96. Would you rather it never stops snowing (the snow never piles up) or never stops raining (the rain never causes floods)?
Sure, both will get annoying after a while, but which would be less annoying?
97. Would you rather never be able to leave your own country or never be able to fly in an airplane?
How much do you like riding on trains and boats?
98. Would you rather never have a toilet clog on you again or never have the power go out again?
The water always goes down, or the grid always stays up.
99. Would you rather earbuds and headphones never sit right on / in your ears or have all music either slightly too quiet or slightly too loud?
Can you tell that I get way too bothered by slight inconveniences? Maybe this list says more about me than it should.
100. Would you rather be the best in the world at climbing trees or the best in the world at jumping rope?
Both you could conceivably make a living with, and both are pretty good cardio.