Hopefully you picked up some bourbon and sugar while you were out stockpiling pre-blizzard bread, milk and eggs. You’ll need it to make the Little Pub N’awlins Bread Pudding With Sugared Bourbon Sauce
Step one: prepare bread and milk soak
- 3lbs bread (French, etc) chopped into small pieces
- Combine into bowl with 1 gallon of milk, let soak
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
Step two: prepare the rest of the mixture
While bread is soaking, mix this stuff up in a separate bowl:
- 20 whole eggs
- 5 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoon vanilla
Then add all that to the soaking bread. Mix that all up and set aside.
Step three: prepare the pans.
- find two hotel pans or pyrex baking dishes that fit on top of each other. The pan with mixture should be able to fit over/inside pan containing the water.
- Add 1/4 inch of water to bottom pan
- Coat bottom and sides of top pan with butter, then add the bread mixture to the coated pan.
- Place pan containing the mixture into/over the pan containing the 1/4 inch of water.
- Place both into oven at 350 for 2-2 1/2 hours until golden brown on top.
- While that cooks it’s time to…
Step four: prepare the Sugared Bourbon Sauce
- Ratio of 1 cup sugar to 1 egg (depending on amount you need)
- Mix together in bowl
- Place bowl over boiling pot of water to cook. stir regularly.
- Once uniform consistency is achieved remove from heat.
- Then add desired bourbon. stir and taste
- If necessary, add some more bourbon. stir and taste
- Okay stop, that’s enough bourbon. okay fine, take a small sip/wee dram for yourself.
Step Five: time to eat!
- Cut warm bread pudding into squares,
- Drizzle sauce over top and serve.
- Serves about 30 so invite the neighbors over.